February 27, 2015

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
Series: Glass #2/ Chronicles of Ixia #5
Source: bought paperback
Publisher: Mira Ink
Publication Date: Sep 6th, 2013
Age Genre: YA
Challenges: TBR - Cleaning my shelves
Challenges: Prequel-Sequel
Challenges: Flight of Fantasy
Find on Leafmarks!
Like the colorful pieces of sea glass washed up on shore, Opal has weathered rough waters and twisting currents. But instead of finding a tranquil eddy, Opal is caught in a riptide. Her unique glass messengers which allow instant communication over vast distances have become a vital part of Sitian society. Once used solely by the Councilors and magicians, other powerful factions are now vying for control. Control of the messengers equals control of Sitia. Unfortunately that also means control of Opal.
If that isn’t enough of a problem, Opal’s determination to prove blood magic is still being used is met with strong resistance. The Council doubts her, her mentor doubts her, and even her family is concerned. When her world is turned upside down, she begins to doubt herself. In the end, Opal must decide who to believe, who to trust, and who has control—otherwise she will shatter into a million pieces and be swept out by the tide.

It took me way too long to read this book. Seriously, five days is like twice my standard reading time, especially for books I love. And make no mistake - I loved Sea Glass. Possibly more than I loved the first in the series. I blame the fact I had so little free time those five days, and the fact I was coming down from a book binge for my tardiness.

First of all,  I can't express enough how much I adore Maria V. Snyder. It's rare a person can create such a seamless fantasy world, and make not one but two series in it, with two different mcs, and have both feel so different from each other. Opal is not Yelena, and her journey is another thing completely - and that's why it's so fun to read.

In the first book, Opal was still a bit naive. Mostly optimistic. Trusting. Loving. In this book, we see her slowly change and grow. We see her become someone strong and jaded. Someone who wields sarcasm as well as a sword. Someone a bit bitter. Someone with trust issues and a certain lack of gives-a-shit.
And at the same time, someone caring and loving. Someone who is still so inherently good it doesn't matter how jaded she becomes. And her transformation doesn't happen overnight. It takes a while (and many blows and hits) and it makes perfect sense. In fact, is she had remained the same person she started as in Storm Glass, I would've found the book lacking. She went through too much to be at the starting point. 

Now, one of the best aspects of this series is the romance. We have a sort of love triangle (quartet?) but it's not the kind you should run away from. And trust me, as an avid hater of love triangles, I don't say that lightly. You can relax and know that Opal choses, instead of jumping back and forth in indecision. And the romance is simply delicious! 

In this book, something SHOCKING happened. I actually... liked Devlen?! Like, really really liked? 
For the first part of the book, where Opal was traveling with Devlen, I found myself falling for this guy. Even though I never properly hated him in the first book, I never expected to like him. Not to mention love him! I mean, he's the villain. And there is Kade.

Who's Kade, you ask? Kade is Opal's true love. He's the person that truly cares for her, and worries for her, and trusts her. He's also 100% swoon worthy. And once he was in the picture again, he definitely stole the show. But even though I'm Team Kade for Opal, I may be a bit Team Devlen for myself. Might be the first time that happened. 

Another wonderful part of this story is Janco. We didn't get any Valek time *sniff* but at least we got to see our favorite Ixian again! And a lot, too! 

The book ends in a very definite place. Ther is no cliffhanger. If anything, there is a feeling of completion, which makes me wonder what the next book will be about. I've got a pretty solid theory based on one of the side plotlines of this novel, but we'll see where it goes...

If you haven't picked up a Maria V. Snyder novel yet, I really suggest you get on with it! 

 Nitzan

2 comments: